Understanding the trends in digital marketing can allow small businesses to compete with bigger companies. Having a strong digital marketing strategy is becoming more and more essential as more people are consistently accessing the web through their mobile devices. Understanding the importance of these digital marketing trends can also help small business owners make smart budgeting decisions to create the biggest impact.
- Freshness is Essential. An important aspect to consider when looking to boost digital marketing is the freshness and features of your website. Search engines give more attention to websites that provide a high level of engagement. Features such as polls, social media integration, reviews and frequently updated content provide an advantage of websites without these features. Your website should also contain micro-data, which allows search engines to quickly decipher the information on the website. Finally, having a fast download and user-friendly format are essential.
- Have a Mobile Strategy. Mobile web traffic is expected to surpass desktop traffic in 2014. This is an important point to understand. Approximately 1.2 billion people search the web from a mobile device, and 31% of adults now own a tablet. Having a responsive website that automatically adjusts and scales to a mobile device format is crucial. Adding mobile promotions will also aid in building your mobile traffic.
- Local and SEO is Still Important. Despite all the changes and developments over the last 18 months, local and search engine optimization are still important and need to be taken into consideration when creating a website and adding content to that website. Making sure the name, address and phone number of the company maintains consistency is important. There is still no replacement for content marketing as a key factor in SEO. SEO has been shifting from keyword rankings to the relevance and timeliness of the content.
- Invest in Paid Search and Media. Online directors and review websites are an important element of digital marketing. So much so that it is worth an invest to get included in the directories and websites relevant to your business.
- Grow Your Social Media Presence. Having a strong social media presence is important and continuing to increase in importance. A company’s level of influence within social media is now linked to search engine optimization and establishing your website as an authority within your niche. Key social media channels you should be involved in are Google+, Facebook, Twitter, Youtube and photo sharing.
- Customer Reviews are Beneficial. First, it is important to maintain a high quality product and customer services. Customer reviews are very influential to potential customers, and having positive reviews can greatly impact your business. Make sure to regularly review comments, ratings, and reviews left on your website. Responding to reviews will increase engagement with your customers and share potential customers that you are involved.