WordPress is such an amazing tool, and the WordPress community is growing by the day. It is definitely a safe bet when looking to simply start a blog or establish a website. It is easy enough that you can develop your own website without having to enlist the help of a professional. However, WordPress can also be intimidating for a newbie. There are so many options and so much to learn.
Here are 5 tips for beginners. Things to keep in mind as you get started that will help you in the long run.
- Maintain site security. When choosing a password for your WordPress admin log in, don’t choose one that is overly simple or easy to guess. Choose a password that utilizes both letters and numbers. Don’t add to many administrators to your site. The more people that have access to the admin page, the more chances there will be of stuff getting published that you don’t approve. Only the essential people should have the admin and password for your site.
- Choose a responsive theme. The percentage of people going online from a mobile device is increasing rapidly. For this reason, it is important that your site is readable on all devices. Choosing a responsive theme will ensure that your content can be read on a desktop or a smartphone.
- Be Unique. From color to layout, there are nearly an endless number of ways to customize your website. Work to make your website unique. You don’t want people thinking your website is just like another one they saw or confusing your website with another one.
- Get acquainted with your plugins. There are plugins available for nearly any task you could need done. Once again, the options are endless. Take some time to look into your options and install the plugins that are going to help you the most.
- Track your progress. Google Analytics will allow you to monitor every aspect of your websites progress and traffic. This will allow you to make adjustments or changes as needed. It will also let you know what marketing efforts worked and which did not.