Instagram just made a move that many will critique, essentially copying snapchat. It may come across as a “dude, seriously…” type of thing, but I’m telling your right now, not only is it the smart move, it makes Instagram better than snapchat overnight.
Consider the following:
Users inhale content on Instagram.
Snapchat does everything possible to encourage content creation, regardless of how rich or poor that content is. The content is Instagram has a higher quality, more thought and time is put into creating a post.
Instagram beats out Snapchat on design and usability
- At times I’m confused which users content I’m viewing on Snapchat
- Swiping away from the camera page gets annoying on Snapchat
- Checking statistics and seeing what your friends are watching and liking is much easier on Instagram
- Watching the same story a second time is much easier to do on Instagram
Instagram is much better suited for advertisers
- Higher quality on a platform where users enjoy viewing content leads to higher advertising dollars.
- On Instagram it’s very clear understanding the reach of a user through their profile. Number of posts, followers, likes per post, this is a wealth of data. Snapchat is limited by a Snapscore which is a scoring system that many don’t even understand.
In conclusion, I don’t by any means think Snapchat is going to sit back and say, “well, that was a great ride while it lasted…”, and I don’t see them going Myspace 2.0 on us. They have millions of users who are obsessed with the app. I just feel Instagram is a huge threat with a lot more going for it overall and it will be interesting to watch how both of them will evolve down the road.